Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Autism Speaks' Google Problem, cont

Taking Advantage of the Natural Power of Google to Redirect the Conversation Back to #ActuallyAutistic Persons 


So I've been mulling it over all day at work. And doing a fair bit of snickering in the process when I imagine the look on the Wright's faces when search results start coming to US instead of THEM. This is actually the very reason i started Autistic Wiki (yes, I know I have a TON of work to do before it is useful). I started AW because I truly believe that if we work hard enough, search engines will start pointing to us rather than Autism Speaks when people do searches on autism.

In my previous post I talked about how i want to take advantage of Google's algorithms that return the results that get the most clicks and links. I am wondering what is the best way to go about this. What is most effective? When we start googling, should all results point to a hashtag like #ActuallyAutistic? Or should all results point to a website, or a blog post? Should we be googling lots of things, like 'autism speaks hates autistics #actuallyautistic', and 'autism speaks hates kittens', and 'autism speaks through #actuallyautistic', etc. Or is it more effective if we all agree to google the same phrase, such as 'autism speaks boycotted by #actuallyautistics'.  I think it is a good idea to have a hashtag in there since both Facebook and Twitter honor hashtag searches.

I also think it would be a good idea to add in the LIUB tag since some many people will be watching that tag between now and April 2nd. After that, i think we should take over the #autismspeaks tag, and whatever new tag they come up with this year.

Just bouncing some ideas around. I'm getting really excited about this because after watching the huge amount of participation in the #AutismSpeaks10 takeover and the outpouring of tweets in the #ActuallyAutistic and  #HighFunctioningMeans, I believe we have enough people to make a difference.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment